In the Kitchen with Sigona’s: Chilled Avocado-Crab Soup
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin, fresh-pressed olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ripe California avocados (these are large; if you use another variety, adjust accordingly)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus 1 tb
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
- optional: 1 cup cooked corn (fresh is best, but in the off-season, frozen will work well)
- ½ pound Dungeness crab meat (you may substitute cooked shrimp or canned crab if you like)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- salt and black pepper to taste
1.) Saute onion and jalapeno over medium heat till tender, about 12-15 minutes. Add garlic and saute briefly, about two minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2.) Place chopped avocados in blender with chicken broth, 4 tb. of the lemon juice, and saute mix. Puree till smooth.
3.) Transfer to a large bowl; stir in water and lemon zest. Add water if desired to achieve your preferred thickness. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours.
4.) In a separate bowl, mix the crab, cucumber, and the remaining tablespoon of the lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate, covered 1-3 hours.
5.) Ladle soup into bowls; top with crab mixture. Garnish with 2-3 chive stems.
Cook’s note: Lovely with corn bread and a simple salad of citrus, walnuts, and Boston lettuce – and if you want to garnish it with a few wedges of avocado, so much the better!