Beer-Battered Torpedo Onion Rings With Point Reyes Blue Cheese
Recipe from our friend Luisa Ormonde of Luisa’s Catering. Luisa says, “These are some SERIOUS onion rings and the blue cheese dip is the perfect accompaniment. If you feel like adding a special indulgence to your dinner tonight, fry up these babies!
- 1 extra large torpedo onion (red onion/sweet yellow onions is fine)
- milk, for soaking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle of good quality beer (I used Anchor Steam)
Blue Cheese Dip:
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, finely crumbled (Point Reyes preferred)
- 1 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- canola oil or peanut oil, for frying
For Dip: Mix all ingredients together in bowl and chill until ready to serve.
Onion Rings: In a Dutch oven heat oil to 350 degrees F.
Cut onions 1 inch thick, remove dark exterior of onions, separate into rings and soak in shallow baking dish with milk (enough to just cover them) for 1 hour (this mellows out the “bite” of the onion).
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and egg. Pour in the beer and whisk to a smooth batter (don’t over mix).
Drain the milk from the onions. Dip each onion ring into the batter, letting the excess drip off. Carefully add rings to the hot oil. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown, turning them over as needed. Drain the rings on paper towels, garnish with additional parsley (if desired) and serve with blue cheese dipping sauce.