Recipe: Wild Arugula, Fennel & Local, Sweet Pomegranate Salad
I made this salad for our Thanksgiving dinner. The citrus and vinegar I used really balanced out the Arbequina to make a wonderful dressing for a flavorful salad. – Carmelo Sigona
- Large fennel bulb (Fennel is also known as Sweet Anise. Choose a nice, heavy round one; they’re meatier.)
- 2 TBL fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 2 TBL fresh mandarin juice (about 1 large mandarin)
- 1/3 red onion
- 3 large handfuls of wild arugula (I like the wild arugula, it has a nuttier taste and the texture is a bit more delicate)
- Seeds from 1/2 large pomegranate (see Robbie Sigona’s demo on how to remove seeds)
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
For the dressing:
- 2 TBL Sigona’s Fresh Press Chilean Arbequina extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBL white wine vinegar
- 1 TBL fresh squeezed lime juice (about half of 1 large lime)
- 1 TBL fresh squeezed mandarin juice (about half of 1 large mandarin)
- 1 tsp mandarin zest
- Salt & pepper
Directions for the salad: Remove stalks and fronds from fennel, reserving the fronds for garnish. Cut the bulb in half and core out the tough bottom root section. Thinly slice; a mandolin works great, you also could slice with a sharp knife
In a shallow bowl, mix together the lime and mandarin juice. Slice red onion very thinly (a mandolin here also works great) and marinate in the juice for 5 minutes. Note: Red onions are off season now and very hot… the juice imparts a wonderful citrusy flavor and takes out the heat.
Squeeze out the juice from the red onion, discard the juice. Place slices in a large mixing bowl, then add in wild arugula and sliced fennel, toss to mix well.
Directions for the dressing: In a mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
Assembly: Pour dressing over salad (use only what amount of dressing that works for you and save overage for another day). Toss to mix well.
Place mixture in indivual plates or large serving plate, top with shaved Parmigiano Reggiano and pomegranate seeds. Garnish with a few delicate fennel fronds.