- Apple season will be in full swing and Sigona’s will have 40-50 or so varieties, including everything from local to heirloom. Apples are a great source of fiber and keep you feeling satiated without too many calories. They are also a great low glycemic carbohydrate that help to maintain stable blood sugar levels throughout the day.
- Melons are still running great and are a perfect way to satisfy that sweet craving.
- All of our local heirloom and Beefsteak tomatoes are looking especially good right now. Just slice ’em up, add a little balsamic over a bed of spring mix or arugula and you’re good to go. Low cal, low fat and all good – some studies even suggest this powerful combo can help ward off various forms of cancer.
- Our local greens are simply fantastic as we move into autumn. Warm days and cool nights make for ideal growing conditions. You’ll probably tend to cook more in the house when the weather is cooler and it’s dark earlier in the evenings so eat up! I’m especially fond of tossing our local greens into stir-frys.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.