John Sigona’s dried fruit and nut selection of the week is Raw Shelled Mixed Nuts.
(9 oz. container)
Although it can be difficult to find raw shelled mixed nuts, you’ll currently find them at Sigona’s Farmers Market.
Our raw shelled mixed nuts include: whole California almonds, California pecan halves, California walnuts (light halves and pieces) whole Brazils and whole cashews.
I’ll give you two unique ways to use them at the end of this article, but before I do I want you to know that raw nuts are very, very good for you. Here are a few of the numerous nutritional benefits:
- High in protein
- High in magnesium
- High in fiber
- Very high in Omega-3 fatty acids
- Very high in antioxidants
Note: Even though nuts are high in calories, they are filling and all you need is an ounce or so a day.
Here are two little secrets I’ll share with you about how to use raw shelled mixed nuts that’s really easy, unique, tasty and healthy.
- Use Sigona’s raw shelled mixed nuts as a substitute ingredient for pine nuts when you make fresh pesto. It’s a delicious alternative, very healthy and costs much less!
- Use them in your blender with fresh raw vegetables and fresh raw fruits for a superbly healthy smoothie. Here is a quick, easy recipe that I made the day after Christmas. You’ll need a large blender (remember to wash all fresh produce). Serves three.
- Lacinato kale, spinach (baby or regular), handful of parsley, half-medium beet, (filling blender with all of these vegetables about 35-40% full)
- 11/2 large fresh ripe banana, one-fourth medium fresh pineapple
- 4 oz. fresh pressed apple juice, unpasteurized and unfiltered, if possible
- 15-20 oz. filtered water (less water will leave your mix thicker and creamier)
- Small handful of mixed nuts
- Blend together until all is liquefied
- Serve immediately after preparing for highest nutritional value
This will taste best cold. Your vegetables and apple juice can come straight from your refrigerator and you can pre-freeze your ripe fresh bananas (put them in a zip-lock bag).
You can use any number of vegetables, like Swiss Chard (rainbow, red or green), mustard greens, collard greens, Yu Choy, red, yellow, orange or green bell peppers, celery and so on. The same principle applies with the fruit, although I like to keep bananas as a base.
The bottom line is that this drink is super-duper healthy and delicious.