- When choosing a peewee, choose the more elongated avocados. They will have a smaller pit than the short and rounder ones.
- First-of-the-season avocados of any kind, not just peewee, may ripen and stay green in color. Choose for their softness by gently pressing on the top by the stem.
- Eat or refrigerate ripe avocados and leave out firmer, greener ones to eat later. The early season avocados hold very well; they hold much better than the Mexican varieties which ripen quickly and don’t hold that well.
- The best thing about these little beauties is that you’ll use the whole avocado and have no waste afterward. You don’t have to cut it in half and refrigerate what you don’t use.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.