I love how the mixed medley of mini tomatoes makes for a beautifully colored, flavorful dish. All the tomatoes bring their own unique flavor to the medley, and all pair perfectly with basil, our just-pressed Leccino olive oil and, of course, the Galbani mozzarella. Enjoy! Serves 4-8.
- 1/2 pint basket (about 8-10 oz.) of mixed medley tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 TBL fresh basil leaves, about 6 large leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 TBL Sigona’s Fresh Press Leccino extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Half of 1 sweet baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 (or so) TBL Sigona’s Fresh Press Leccino extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and left whole
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, such as Galbani, cut into medallions about 1/4-inch thick (you may need to halve the slices so they fit well atop the baguette slices)
Tomato Bruschetta: In a mixing bowl, gently stir together all the ingredients. Set aside and let the flavors meld while you prepare the crostinis.
Garlic Mozzarella Crostinis: Brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil. You can put these in the oven to broil, but I recommend using a stovetop grill. Using a stovetop grill or large pan, grill both sides just slightly on a medium-high heat, just about 1 min per side. This makes the bread crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Lightly rub a garlic clove over each toasted crostini, maybe 2-3 swipes across each top.
Preheat the oven broiler (if you didn’t already for toasting the baguette). Top the toasted and garlic-rubbed crostini slices with a slice or two of mozzarella. Place on a baking sheet and slide under the oven broiler for about 4-6 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly toasted – watch it so it doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven and top with the bruschetta mixture. Serve immediately.