John Sigona’s Dried Fruit & Nut Pick of the Week are California Medjool Dates.
SPECIAL: $2.99 9 oz
(Reg. $4.99 9 oz)
Effective September 13-September 23, 2014
Coming in from the Imperial Valley of California, these Medjool dates have a terrific flavor of sweetness and a fudge-like consistency. They’re the world’s finest, and this is a special you can’t turn down!
These fabulous Medjool dates will satisfy your sweet tooth and supply you with an excellent amount of nutrition – that’s one tough combo to beat! Here’s a breakdown of a few nutritional facts:
- High fiber – 6 grams per 3-oz. serving
- Good source of potassium, iron and copper
- Excellent source of magnesium – 10% per 3-oz. serving
- Consist of 2% protein
When storing these dates, they can stay at room temperature for at least one week. Or, if you decide to refrigerate them, they’ll last for at least eight weeks! Want to keep them around a little bit longer? Well, freeze them, and they’ll still be good after eight months. Try eating them directly out of the freezer, and it’s like you’re eating a cold fudge candy.
These Medjool dates are an awesome alternative to sugar or honey. Try dicing or mixing them with:
- Trail mixes
- Fruit smoothies
- Cottage cheese
Want to get fancy with the “King of Dates”? Here’s a simple recipe for Stuffed Medjools with Cheese:
- Slice Medjool date lengthwise and remove pit.
- Stuff with one of the following cheeses: soft goat cheese (our #1 favorite!), cream cheese, milk Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar or even a blue cheese.
- Try mixing any of the cheeses above with any of the following (prior to stuffing the dates): diced spicy jalapeno chili or any chili of your choice, fresh Granny Smith apples or any raw nut, like almonds, walnuts or pecans.