- Always buy local. Our globe-variety artichokes come from the Pezzini family in Castroville. These ‘chokes are guaranteed to be the freshest artichokes around and are quite meaty.
- As with any good fruit or vegetable, they should feel heavy for their size. Light airy artichokes have less meat and are usually old.
- Check for freshness by giving the artichoke a gentle squeeze; they should squeak.
- Artichoke leaves should be tight and not too open.
- The stem should have a fresh cut on it. Older artichokes will have a dark brown stem.
- For storage, refrigerate (unwashed) in a plastic bag with a paper towel to absorb moisture for up to 5 days.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables – some you won’t find anywhere else.