Recipes: Fresh from the Garden
Beef Steak Tuscan Salad
- 6 cups dense 2-day old bread, torn into pieces
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup finely cut fresh basil
- 5 tablespoons finely cut flat leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
Directions: Bring a large pot of water to boil and dip tomatoes into the water for 5-10 seconds each. Peel while still warm. Seed the tomatoes, and cut into chunks. Put them in a large bowl, sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside for five minutes.
Add the bread, mozzarella, basil, parsley and garlic to the tomatoes in the bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss.
Beat the vinegar into the olive oil. Add water until you have two cups of liquid. Pour the liquid over the bread salad. It should look pretty wet. Add a little more water if it doesn’t.
Toss well, cover the bowl with a towel, and set aside for an hour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed.
- 1 bunch of chard, sliced into bite sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add pressed garlic and stir to release flavor (about 30 seconds).
- Mix in chard and cover tightly.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.