Apple Compote with Vanilla Bean Balsamic Sauce
You will love this over vanilla gelato! It tastes rich and decadent, but is relatively low in fat. Gelato is made with milk, not cream, so it’s lower in fat than many desserts. And the fat in walnuts is very good for you. Try it and let us know what you think!
- 1 Granny Smith apple – cored, skinned and diced
- 1 Honeycrisp apple – cored, skinned and diced
- 1-2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 generous tsp. Sigona’s Fresh Press Vanilla Bean Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp.ground nutmeg
- One pint vanilla gelato (we used Massimo, which you can pick up in the store)
- A handful of chopped walnuts (optional)
Warm the apples and ginger in a sauté pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until the apples are softened, but still have a crunch. Then add the vanilla bean balsamic, stir briefly — just a few seconds, really — and remove the pan from the heat. Add the spices and stir to coat the apples evenly.
Scoop vanilla gelato into individual serving dishes and then top with the apple mixture and a few walnuts, if desired. Drizzle another teaspoon of vanilla bean balsamic over the top of the dessert for a special finish. Serve immediately.