Recipe: Melone con Aceto Balsamico e Menta
Melone con Aceto Balsamico e Menta
Translated, Melone con Aceto Balsamico e Menta means Melon with Balsamic Vinegar and Mint – it’s a traditional Sicilan treat, and to give it a little more substance and flair, we’ve added prosciutto, making this a satisfying and unique appetizer or first course.
- 2 TBL Balsamic
- 2 TBL minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 whole mint sprigs, for garnish
- 2 tsp sugar (or substitute 1/2 TB organic Agave nectar)
- 12 thin slices of seeded and peeled heirloom melons, your choice (we recommend 2 different varieties for flavor & color)
- 6 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half, lengthwise
- 6-12 slices fresh Cantare mozzarella
In a small bowl stir together the balsamic, minced mint and sugar or agave, dissolving the sugar as best as possible. Let the mix sit for 25 minutes.
Arrange the melon, prosciutto and mozzarella on a serving platter, either in rows or in a big circle, alternating ingredients. Drizzle with the balsamic mix and garnish with mint sprigs. Serves ~6.