Produce tips: Pears
Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips For…
They’re just fantastic this time of year!
- Choose a pear that is bright and fresh looking with no bruises or external damage.
- You can tell when a Bartlett pears is ripe when it begins to turn yellow…if they get soft they will be mushy.
- Winter pears, such as Bosc, Comice and D’Anjou, are ripe when they have a slight give around the stem (or neck) end.
- Waiting until the body of a pear is soft will often mean its overripe.
- Store unripe pears in a warm place outside of the refrigerator in a fruit bowl or in a paper bag. Their natural gases will help the fruit ripen quicker. Check daily for ripeness.
- Store ripe pears in the refrigerator to slow ripening.