Simple, Healthy, Delicious: Steak & Citrus Salad
I just love the combination of citrus, avocado and steak – it’s good as a fajita or as a salad using the following recipe. The sweetness of a Honey tangerine mixed with the burst of flavor from a grapefruit is fantastic. Serves 4.
- Lean Top Sirloin steak(s) for 4 people (total of 2 – 2.5 lbs. should work)
- 1 Honey tangerine (see below for cutting instructions)
- 1 Ruby Red grapefruit (see below for cutting instructions)
- 2 TBL Sigona’s Persian lime olive oil
- 1 1/2 TBL Sigona’s Honey Ginger balsamic
- Red leaf and Romain lettuce, chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces (remove the core)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced (See notes below)
- 1/2 English cucumber, cubed (or substitute with any other salad veggie you wish, such as radishes or carrot)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- salt & pepper
Slicing Citrus: It takes time and patience, but is well worth the effort! To do this, cut the top and bottom off of your grapefruit. Slice the peel from the fruit, top to bottom, getting as close to the flesh as possible. Once the peel is removed slice any remaining pieces of pith from the fruit so no white remains. Then, slice closely along the sides of each membrane to neatly remove the sections in between. And there you have it!
For the red onions: To take the heat out of the off-season red onion, slice ahead of time and set in cold water for about 10 minutes then drain or pat dry.
Directions: season meat with salt and pepper and grill or sauté to your likeness. Set aside.
Cut oranges and grapefruits as directed, set aside. Slice avocado open and cube meat (as suggested in the previous e-news) Set aside.
Whisk together the oil and balsamic, season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce, onion, vegetables and citrus segments. Toss to combine and plate the salad evenly between 4 dishes. Top salad with the steak strips and avocado cubes.