Robbie’s Produce Tips: Local Greens
- Fall is a great time to buy your local greens. The weather is perfectly cool – but not too cold – to produce really nice greens.
- Buy local. We have huge bunches of green and red Swiss chard and lacinato kale from Half Moon Bay. The majority of all other greens, organic and commercial are CA grown with many coming from Bakersfield.
- Choose greens that are vibrant and healthy looking with a little shine to them. Check out our green chard and Yu-choy. They look fantastic right now.
- The stem end of the greens should have a good fresh cut on the and not a dried out older look.
- Whether it’s kale or Swiss chard, the greens should be green. Older greens will turn yellow.
- We are featuring several local greens from Half Moon Bay at .99 per bunch.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.