Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Local Pumpkins and Squashes
- Choose local pumpkins and squash that are heavy for their size as these will be the meatiest.
- Most pumpkins are edible with the exception of gourds and mini pumpkins.
- Sugar pies are best for pies (hence the name). They have much more meat than “regular” pumpkins and possess less seeds.
- Look for those that have a deep color. For example, dark orange if you’re selecting a pumpkin and a deeper colored butternut as opposed to pale brown if you’re picking a squash.
- Older pumpkins and squashes will get a waxy feel to them.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables – some of you won’t find anywhere else.