- All fresh cabbage should be green, or at least a light green. Avoid yellowing leaves as this would indicate older cabbage.
- Should have a fresh white “butt” (aka stem).
- Choose a cabbage heavy for its size.
- If a cabbage is trimmed down and white, it probably has some age on it. A fresh cabbage will still have its outer leaves on it.
- Cabbage is susceptible to bug damage, such as from aphids, and should have little to none of this. It should look clean – free of blackish marks.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables – some you won’t find anywhere else.