Orange-Flesh Honeydew, Fig & Prosciutto Salad with Fennel and Sigona’s Basil Oil
Prosciutto and melon is most definitely a classic combination — the saltiness of the prosciutto is countered by its sweet melon companion, creating a delicious flavor you might not usually expect from two simple ingredients. The crunch and flavor of the fennel adds a fresh factor, brightened by our basil oil. It’s a lovely dish! Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1/2 an orange-flesh honeydew, seeded
- 4 to 6 figs, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 to 4 oz. prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fennel, plus 1 to 2 Tbsp. fennel fronds, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced shallot
- 1 Tbsp Sigona’s Basil Oil
- 1 to 2 tsp Sigona’s Fig Balsamic, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions: Slice the half melon across the middle. Cut the two halves to create four wedges, then cut the wedges into quarters. Cut the quarters into slices about 1/4-inch thick; remove the rind and discard.
Spread the greens out on a large platter. Top the greens evenly with a single layer of melon slices followed by the the fig slices. Add on the prosciutto, the fennel and shallot in layers.
Drizzle the dish with the basil oil and then balsamic. Season with salt and pepper. Finish with a garnish of fennel fronds.