In the Kitchen with Sigona’s featuring Seafood Piccata Crepes
Like the chicken filling, this takes just a few minutes to prep and even fewer to cook. It’s simple, satisfying, and won’t leave you feeling too full to enjoy the rest of your Valentine’s Day date.
Ingredients for two:
- 1 tbsp. Sigona’s fresh-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. capers, drained and patted dry
- 1 ½ cups Italian (flat leaf) parsley, divided as follows: 1 cup, finely chopped, ½ cup nicely trimmed but not chopped, for garnish
- 6 ounces baby bay scallops
- 6 ounces medium raw shrimp
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- juice of ½ lemon, plus 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp. whole grain flour (barley or brown rice flour is a good gluten-free choice)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions: Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large saucepan. Add capers and cook for about 1 ½ minutes, until capers start to crisp.
Add shrimp and scallops. After they’ve cooked about 2-3 minutes, add the wine. Turn heat up to high to begin reduction of the wine. After another minute, add the chopped parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter.
Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps. This will thicken the sauce – only about 15 seconds. Remove from heat.
Fill the crepes with the seafood mixture and plate them. Spoon some of the sauce over the crepes. Garnish with some chopped parsley and a few parsley sprigs.
Carmelo recommends: “In the final step of making the sauce, be careful not to overcook it: you don’t want your sauce to get too thick, or your scallops and shrimp to toughen.” And here’s a tip: when the shrimp turns pink, it’s done.