Nuts: Simple, Healthy, Delicious
Just as we mentioned in the article, nuts have been incorporated in native dishes around the world for hundreds of years. Here are four recipes using nuts as the star ingredient!
The Girolami family, which provides us with American chestnuts, reminds us that like popcorn, a chestnut is a closed shell with moisture trapped inside. When heated the moisture can forcefully pop the nut open. When roasting chestnuts always slit the shell first to allow the steam pressure to escape…otherwise the nut will burst with a small explosion!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a sharp knife, make an X on the flat side through both the smooth outer shell and the textured inner skin. This will allow the steam pressure to escape as the nut heats up.
- Place the nuts in a shallow pan.
- Roast in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. You may wish to turn them over after 5-10 minutes for a more evenly roasted chestnut.
- Take out of the oven and let cool slightly before peeling both shell and skin (they will peel more easily when they are still warm). Enjoy!
You can use this to stuff in a 15-20lb. turkey or bake it in greased casserole dish (325˚ for 30 minutes).
- 2 med. onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1 c. golden raisins
- 2 c. chestnuts, chopped*
- ¼ c. parsley, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- **4-6 c. chicken broth
- 16 oz. herb-seasoned stuffing cubes
Saute onions, garlic and raisins in oil until onions are soft. Stir in remaining ingredients, **using only enough broth to hold stuffing together.
Nut “milks” are used alone or as bases for sauces, soups and desserts by health enthusiasts or those with dairy allergies. Take dark part off almonds by boiling in water 15-25sec.
- 2 c. almonds
- 6 c. water
- 1 ½ – 2 TBL rganic Agave nectar
Put almonds, Agave and water in blender and let it rip! Add flavor with berries or bananas.
Cheese & Nut Platter
What could be easier than a few wedges of gourmet cheese, fresh & dried fruits and assorted nuts to please a crowd? Sigona’s has all the parts and pieces you need to throw together a simple and elegant appetizer in minutes! You can mix and match as you wish, but here are a few suggestions:
Start with the following and arrange around the platter:
- Wedge of Brie (we recommend President Brie)
- Wedge of Gouda (we recommend Beemster Gouda)
- Wedge of Fontina (we recommend Denmark’s Finest)
- Assorted round crackers
- An assortment of fresh fruits and berries such as strawberries and sliced apples
Add on handfuls of the following, sprinkled around the platter:
- Raw walnuts
- Raw almonds
- Raw cashews
- Roasted pistachios
- Dried Blenheim apricots
- Dried East Coast cranberries
- Dried figs
In separate ramekins, provide:
- Marinated olives
- Marinated mushrooms