Robbie Sigona's Produce Tips: Cara Cara and Blood Oranges
Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Cara Cara and Blood Oranges
As with any citrus, choose Cara Cara or blood oranges that are heavy for their size, with smooth, thin and tight skin, and free of blemishes.
- As the season progresses into January, the sweetness and flavor of these two gems intensifies.
- The skin of blood oranges may be flushed red. This doesn’t affect the flavor and is not an indication of how ripe they are. Cold weather causes the skin of a Blood orange to blush.
- Both varieties are best stored in the refrigerator once you get them home.
- The juiciest and sweetest Blood oranges and Cara Caras will have a sweet, clean fragrance.
- The Cara Cara is sometimes referred to as the Red Navel.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables – some of you won’t find anywhere else.