Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Heirloom Apples
- Generally you would choose apples that are free of bruises and have a healthy shine to them; however, heirloom apples tend to have scaring and are not as “shelf pretty” but as just as good.
- Store apples in the fridge for optimum shelf life and crispness.
- California apples are just starting so it’s best to get them soon as these are fresh picked.
- Be gentle with Macintosh, Golden Delicious and Gravenstein apples as these bruise easier than other varieties.
- The best apples to use for pies are the Pippin and the Granny Smith as these are firm and hold up well.–
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables – some of you won’t find anywhere else.