Robbie Sigona's Produce Tips: Belgian Endive
Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Belgian Endive
- Choose endive that has crisp, white and yellow leaves.
- To preserve flavor, avoid heads that have green leaves or leaves that are browning. Endive will have green and unpleasantly bitter leaves when exposed to too much light.
- Store endive in a cool, dark area. Wrap in a paper towel inside a plastic bag and place in the refrigerator.
- Do not wash until ready to use. When washing, wipe with a damp cloth, do not submerge in water.
- It’s a delicate vegetable, so use quickly (within three to five days).
- If you have some older endive, you can trim the outer wilted leaves and use the good ones.
Robbie Sigona is produce buyer for both the Redwood City and Palo Alto Sigona’s Farmers Market locations. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.