- Press very gently on the end opposite the stem end, there should be a slight give.
- Look for pronounced ridges, netting and distinct color variation.
- Give all melons a sniff to check for a sweet fragrance.
- Ripe melons should be heavy for their size.
- Once you get the melon home, store it at room temperature until fully ripe then refrigerate it.
- Once cut, a melon needs to be refrigerated. Leave the seeds in any unused portions to maintain moisture. For optimal flavor, let chilled melons come to room temperature before eating.
- Look for the “full slip” on the stem end (what some may call the bellybutton), meaning there is a clean, smooth indentation where the fruit came off the vine. This shows that the fruit was fully ripe, ready to be picked and came off easily when pulled from the vine.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables – some you won’t find anywhere else.