Robbie Sigona’s Produce Pick Featuring: Kent Mangos
My younger son Alexii has been eating mangos all of his life and will ask me to bring home a box weekly. It took my oldest, Neiko a little longer to come around but once he did, he was hooked.
I like eating mangos fresh out of hand. Grab a nice and ripe mango, an old shirt and make a mess.
To pick a mango:
- Don’t focus on color. It is not the best indicator of ripeness. Kent mangos don’t always have that red blush. Even green Kent mangos could be ripe inside.
- Ripe mangos will be slightly soft to the touch just like avocados and peaches, but not soft of mushy.
- If you do not plan on eating the mango for a few days, choose a mango with firmer skin and allow the mango to ripen at home.
- Make sure it feels heavy for its size.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.