Recipe: Niman Ranch Bratwurst with Sweet Caramelized Onions (and a beer!)
Niman Ranch Bratwurst with Sweet Caramelized Onions (and a beer!)
Celebrate Oktoberfest with the best! Our trip to Oktoberfest by the Bay in San Francisco last weekend inspired us to develop these two appropriately-themed giveaways and recipes. Prost! (cheers!) We’re happy to have partnered with Niman Ranch for this issue’s giveaways. Niman Ranch and its U.S. farmers & ranchers raise livestock sustainably, traditionally and humanely to deliver the finest tasting meat in the world.
Niman Ranch is proud that all its livestock is:
- Humanely raised on sustainable U.S. farms & ranches
- Never given antibiotics – ever
- Never given any added hormones – ever
- Fed all-vegetarian feeds
- 2 lg sweet onions, sliced thin (Mayan Sweets are absolutely the best right now…they’re in for just a short time)
- 1 TBL Sigona’s Fresh Press Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Fine mustard, to your liking (we recommend Stonewall Kitchens Spicy Honey Mustard)
- 4 hard rolls, long enough for brats
- 1 pint Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse beer
- In a large skillet, brown the brats on medium to med-high heat with olive oil. Turn once to brown both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Open the Hefe-Weisse, pour in a stein or beer glass, take a sip.
- In the same skillet, add the onions and maybe a little more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions until caramelized, stirring between sips of Hefe-Weisse.
- Once onions are caramelized, put brats in with the onions briefly to reheat.
- Finish the Hefe-Weisse.
- Serve brats on a hard roll with caramelized onions and a fine mustard.