In the Kitchen with Sigona's: Chaumes Party Time Appetizer
In the Kitchen with Sigona’s: Chaumes Party Time Appetizer
This recipe, developed by Sigona’s Alvaro Pacheco, is a fantastic way to use the last of the season’s strawberries. Fresh figs would also add a lovely layer of flavor as a substitute to strawberries.
Balsamic Topped Strawberries & Chaumes Cheese
- 1 – 8 oz. wedge of Chaumes cheese from South France, cut into slices for crackers (you can get this for free with your coupon Oct. 20-26th, 2010, when you spend $30 or more!)
- 12 strawberries, sliced in half
- Sigona’s maple pecans, broken into half pieces (need a few pieces for each cracker)
- 1 box of crackers, we recommend Carr’s light pepper crackers
- 1 bottle Sigona’s 12-year aged traditional balsamic (200ml)
- Mint leaves, chiffionad (optional)
Directions: Add the entire bottle of balsamic to a small sauce pan. To reduce, bring the balsamic to a low boil and then drop temperature to low heat and swirl the contents of the ban continuously until it reaches a thick consistency. Then remove from heat.
At this point, balsamic will be hot so handle with caution and pour the reduction back into the bottle using a funnel and non-stick spatula.
Place crackers on a serving platter. Add a slice of Chaumes to the cracker, top with a maple pecan piece and a strawberry slice.
Using a pour spout, drizzle balsamic, with a light hand, over the cracker and cheese combination. Garnish with mint leaves (optional).