Robbie Sigona's Produce Tips: Strawberries
Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Strawberries
- Berries should be bright and shiny, not dull and flat looking.
- The calyx (or stem) should be green and appear fresh. Older ones turn a brownish-yellow and dry up.
- Strawberries should have a full red color. A little green shoulder (under the calyx) is ok, but look for berries with as little green as possible.
For the best eating experience…
- Strawberries hold best in the fridge
- Just-picked strawberries taste best at room temperature, so leave them on the counter a bit to come to room temperature before taking a bite.
- Don’t wash strawberries until you’re ready to eat them.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.