Robbie Sigona's Produce Tips: Broccolette
Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Broccolette
- The top buds should have no yellowing and should be tightly closed (no flowering).
- When shopping for broccolette, you might find it sold as broccolini.
- This vegetable should be somewhat firm when fresh, but not near as firm as broccoli because of its gai lan characteristics.
- Broccolette is all-edible so enjoy the whole thing from stem to top, just trim about 1/4-1/2 inch from the bottom and rinse and dry well before using.
- It can be eaten steamed, parboiled, stir-fried, roasted or raw. If steaming or parboiling, be careful not to overcook…pull out slightly firm as it will continue to cook. If not using immediately, place in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Learn more about broccolette, such as what it’s a cross between, in our feature article. Find recipes for broccolette on our blog too.
Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.