With warm weather upon us, cool down with these fun summertime recipes from Sigona’s Farmers Market featuring local heirloom melons from Turlock, CA.
Heirloom Tuscan Melon with Prosciutto and Drizzle of Local Raw Blackberry Honey
Simple, easy and downright delicious. The drizzle of our local, raw blackberry honey helps it to just explode with flavor.
- ½ Tuscan Melon
- 6 oz. prosciutto
- Several sprigs of mint (chiffonade)
- 2 tsp. local Raw Blackberry Honey (available at Sigona’s)
- Sprig of mint to garnish
Slice Tuscan melon into wedges, removing rind and seeds. Arrange on a plate into a circular configuration.
Loosely arrange prosciutto between slices of melon.
Drizzle honey over entire plate sprinkle mint over dish and garnish
Ambrosia Melon, Prosciutto and Arugula Salad with Peach Balsamic
Here is a great summer salad that I make all the time. It pairs wonderfully with Sigona’s peach balsamic. Recipe adapted from Food Network.
- 1/4 cup Sigona’s peach balsamic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Sigona’s Arbequina olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, chives and parsley
- 1 Ambrosia melon, peeled seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 10 ounces wild arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1 cup roughly chopped toasted sprouted gourmet almonds (On sale right now at Sigona’s)
In a mixing bowl combine the peach balsamic, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. While continuing to whisk the mixture, add Sigona’s Arbequina olive oil in a slow and steady stream.
Combine the Arbequina olive oil in a measuring cup. While continuously whisking the vinegar mixture, add the oil in a slow, steady stream, until completely emulsified. Whisk in the fresh herbs and set aside as you prepare the salad.
In a large bowl, combine the Ambrosia melon, red onion, prosciutto, wild arugula and sprouted gourmet almonds. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine; all ingredients should be well coated with the vinaigrette.
Local Haogen Melon Sparkling Italian Wine
This remains one of the simplest yet most refreshing ways to enjoy local, heirloom melons. It’s constantly a hit whenever I have dinner guests over.
- Local Haogen melon cut into cubes
- Glass of Prosecco sparkling Italian wine
- Pour the Prosecco into a glass
- Add the fresh Haogen melon
- Enjoy with family, friends or heck, even alone!