Robbie’s Produce Tips: Heirloom Cantaloupe
How to select the perfect heirloom cantaloupe:
- To find a ripe heirloom cantaloupe, look for a golden color under the netting and a golden hue in the stripes. As they ripen the ridges actually turn from green to the yellow color of the melon.
- As with all melons, it should be heavy for its size.
- Press gently on the end opposite the stem; there should be a slight give.
- Smell your melon! You should easily sense a pleasant, sweet fragrance.
How to store:
- Heirloom cantaloupes are vine-ripened (the stripes will be more golden) so be sure to store yours in the refrigerator once you get it home, which will stop the ripening process.
- Once cut, keep the melon refrigerated. Cover cut melons with plastic wrap or in an air-tight container and store for no more than 3 days. Allow chilled melon to come to room temperature before eating (this enhances the flavor).
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.