Robbie’s Produce Tips: What’s Hot for Labor Day
- New crop of local apples are just coming in from California, including Galas from the Stockton area and Gravensteins from Mendocino County.
- Vince Gizdich is on deck with his local apples in early September. He usually starts with Galas, Red Delicious and Golden Delicious.
- We expect his exquisite Black Twig and Winesap heirloom apples to start in October.
- New crop of California pears (Bartlett and Bosc) are here from Lake County.
- We’re expecting some of our best-tasting pears to arrive from Medford, Oregon in October.
- Late summer is a great time for melons so get ’em while you can. We still have a good variety of organic and commercial heirloom melons that are all eating fantastic.
- In addition, there are great heirloom tomatoes from Chiala Farms in Morgan Hill. We also have organic Beefsteaks from Phil Foster in Hollister.
- And we can’t fail to mention all the specialty cherry tomatoes, including sweet 100s, mix medleys, sungold mini and charm) coming south of Santa Maria.
- Our stone fruit is still good. We’re getting some phenomenal fruit from Andy Mariani in Morgan hill as well as some mountain fruit from Placerville.
- The shift is on from Fresno to Washington on the stone fruit.
- Cherries are coming out of Canada and are supposed to make it until September.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.