Robbie’s Produce Tips: Local Artichokes
- Always buy local, like our artichokes from Castroville that are of the globe variety. While there are certainly ‘chokes from the desert without thorns that look good but don’t have much meat or flavor, we are supporting the Pezzini family over at Pezzini Farms to get you the freshest artichokes around.
- Check for freshness by giving them a squeeze; they should squeak!
- Artichoke leaves should be tight and not too open (although just a little is OK).
- The stem should have a fresh cut on it; older artichokes will have a dark brown stem.
- We’re finishing up with the “frost kissed” ‘chokes. Don’t worry about the brown markes on the leaves as this only enhances their flavor.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.