Robbie Sigona’s Produce Tips: Fava Beans
- Choose favas with beans that fill up the pod.
- Select those that are firm, but not too hard.
- Old favas are typically limp and shriveled up.
- You’ll want favas that are bright green and fresh looking.
- Weather- and pest-damaged favas will have a lot of rust and black on them (although a tiny bit is normal).
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.