In the Kitchen with Sigona’s Featuring: Satsuma Mandarins
Creamy, Vitamin-C-Packed Satsuma & Persimmon Smoothie
It’s that time of year where we can all use an extra punch of Vitamin C to help stave off colds. Citrus, ginger and turmeric all provide properties to help you stay healthy or even feel better fast. This smoothie doesn’t taste like a trick to cure you, it’s simply creamy, flavorful and full of good. Almost like orange juice meets Jamba Juice. Serves 1 to 2.
- 1 satsuma mandarin, peeled
- 1 frozen banana, chopped
- Half a Fuyu persimmon, chopped
- 2 Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, dairy-free or regular (milk or milk alternatives are another option)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated turmeric
- Cold water, as needed, to reach desired consistency
Directions: Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until ingredients are incorporated and smooth. Add water as necessary to reach a desired consistency.
Satsuma Mandarin, Spinach and Farfalle Pasta Salad with Teriyaki-Ginger Dressing
Simple, healthy and delicious, this is a great salad for lunch or dinner. Adding cooked chicken strips would give the salad some protein for a heartier meal. Alter the pasta to spinach ratio for a lower-carb option if desired. Inspired by Creme De La Crumb. Serves 4 to 6.
- 8 oz. farfalle pasta (look for fresh, locally made Saporito Fine Pasta, available at Sigona’s)
- 4 cups baby spinach, stems removed
- 1/2 cup apple juice sweetened dried cranberries, available at Sigona’s
- 1/3 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 2 to 3 Satsuma mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Optional: 2 to 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce, such as Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. minced shallot
- A pinch of salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. honey, such as local, raw orange blossom honey from Honey Hole Honey Co., available at Sigona’s
- 1/2 Sigona’s Fresh Press Extra Virgin Olive Oil, such as California Arbequina (Mix it up! Try Sigona’s Persian Lime Olive Oil for more flavor)
Directions: Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine the dressing ingredients in a jar or or a bowl and shake or whisk to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
In a large bowl combine the pasta with spinach, cranberries, almonds, Satsumas, cilantro and green onion, if using. Just before serving, add a couple tablespoons of the dressing and toss the salad to coat the pieces evenly. Add more if desired and/or serve remaining dressing on the side.