Sugar-Free Raspberry Jam with Medjool Dates and Chia Seeds
Sometimes we just need a little jam for a fresh slice of homemade bread or even an English muffin. It’s the little things, right? Some jams require gelatin or lots of refined or added sugar. This jam requires no added sugar, just the natural sweetness of the raspberries, a few Medjool dates and maybe a little honey, if you want more sweet than tart.
Chia seeds, when exposed to liquid, change in texture. Their unique outer layer swells and becomes gel-like (gelatinization), making for a natural gelatin-like texture that acts as a thickener and it is a perfect, healthy way to add a little more thickness to a quick jam. If you’re feeling up to a little science or chemistry project, we will forgive you for going some extra Googling to learn more about the amazing little chia seed. Just make sure to come pick up supplies for this quick jam at Sigona’s too!
Quick, Sugar-Free Raspberry Jam with Medjool Dates and Chia Seeds
- 2 to 3 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped see note
- 1 Tbsp. warm water
- 6 oz. fresh raspberries 1 clamshell
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Honey, to taste such as orange blossom honey from Honey Hole Honey Co., available at Sigona’s (see note)
- Soak the dates in a little water for about 10 minutes. Discard the water then add the dates to a blender. Pulse them a little to break them up. Add the raspberries, chia seeds and lemon juice. Blend until pureed. Taste and add honey to sweeten, if desired.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.