- Select garlic that’s heavy for its size (older garlic will dry up and feel light).
- You’ll want garlic that’s firm so go ahead and give it a squeeze when you’re in the store.
- Older garlic will have indentations or yield to pressure.
- Make sure your garlic isn’t sprouting. I always look at the neck of it to make sure green sprouts aren’t coming through.
– Robbie Sigona is our produce buyer. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.