Here’s some tips to consider when buying zucchini:
- Handle zucchini with care as they are easily damaged.
- Look for a moist stem end and shiny skin, free of cuts or bruises as indicators of freshness.
- Ideally, green zucchini should be no more than 6 inches long.
- Zucchini will store fresh in a plastic bag in the refrigerator crisper drawer four to five days.
- Avoid soft zucchini as it’s a sign of deterioration.
- Over-ripe zucchini and those past their prime can be bitter.
Robbie Sigona is produce buyer for both the Redwood City and Palo Alto Sigona’s Farmers Market locations. He works with local farmers and scours the market for the very best in fresh fruits and vegetables — some you won’t find anywhere else.