Romanesco with Green Olives and Capers recipe from Sigona's
Recipe: Romanesco with Green Olives and Capers
All ingredients available at Sigona’s!
- 2 medium heads Romanesco (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cured green olives, pitted
- 2 TBL capers, drained
- 4 TBL fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Sigona’s Fresh Press extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- 1 TBL freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
Directions: Cut Romanesco into small florets and soak in ice water to cover for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop together the olives, capers, 3 TBL of the parsley, and the lemon zest. In a small pot, heat the oil and red pepper flakes over medium-low heat until hot. Remove from the heat and stir in the olive mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the lemon juice. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drain Romanesco, drop it into the boiling water with the garlic cloves, and cook the florets until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well. Chop the cooked garlic with the remaining 1 TBL of parsley, place in a large bowl, add the florets and olive-caper dressing, and toss well. Taste and adjust with salt, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. If serving at room temperature, adjust seasoning again before serving.