Sigona’s Fresh Press Olive Oil of the Month: June 2012
Since the last time we chatted, the sun has been shining brightly over the Bay Area, our San Francisco Giants have been gaining ground on those pesky Los Angeles Dodgers and the Facebook IPO was about as underwhelming as a stale cracker.
Fledgling stocks aside, June is the ideal time to dust off that BBQ, call up a few friends and enjoy delicious dishes created with Sigona’s fresh produce. That’s why we’ve provided you with a truly astounding pizza pie that will have your friends and family “oohing” and “ahhing” with pleasure. It’s even the perfect dish for dad on Father’s Day.
With that said, here is June’s extra virgin olive oil of the month from Sigona’s Farmers Market that will have your pizza tasting fantastic
Sigona’s June 2012 olive oil of the month
Nocellara From Argentina
- is buttery and light up front while possessing a fruity middle
- has a slick kick of pepper on the finish
- contains a polyphenol count of 223
Try this recipe from Veronica Foods
Grilled Thin Crust Pizza With Fresh Fava Bean Pesto & Arugula Salad with Gremolata Vinaigrette
Fresh Fava Bean & Goat Cheese Pesto
- 3 pounds fresh fava bean pods
- 2 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Nocellara Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Argentina
- 1/3 cup fresh goat cheese (If you don’t like goat cheese, we have some awesome French Bries on sale this week that would work well)
- 1/4 cup really good quality Pecorino Romano
Directions: Have a medium bowl of ice water prepared. Bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to boil. Shell the fava beans and add to the salted water. Blanch the fava beans for 2 minutes and then add to the bowl of ice water. Allow to cool. Slip the peel off each bean and place in to a food processor with all the other ingredients. Pulse until pureed and creamy. Adjust seasoning to taste and reserve. This pesto sauce can also be used over pasta, on bruschetta, or as a dip for veggies.
Thin Crust Nocellara Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Argentina Pizza Dough
- 4 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups warm 110 degree spring or filtered water
- 1/3 cup Nocellara Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Argentina
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Directions: If using a bread machine follow the instructions for adding ingredients to the machine. If mixing in a mixer or by hand, combine the sugar and water and yeast in a large bowl or mixer bowl. Allow to sit for five minutes. Add the olive oil and salt. Begin mixing in the flour. It will be fairly wet but avoid the temptation to add more flour. Knead for approximately 3 minutes until the dough is relatively smooth and cohesive. Allow to rise for 1 hour covered in a warm place. Divide and shape or roll the dough in to two large thin crust pizzas or three medium thin crust pizzas. Makes enough dough for 2 large or three medium thin crust pizzas
Simple Arugula Salad with Gremolata Vinaigrette
- 5 cups baby arugula, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Gremolata Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Directions: Just before the pizza is ready to be taken off the grill, combine the lemon juice with the sea salt. Whisk in the gremolata olive oil and season with pepper. Adjust seasoning and gently toss the arugula with the vinaigrette.
- Prepared pizza dough above
- Fava Bean Pesto
- 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella fresca, thinly sliced
- Simple Arugula Salad with Gremolata Vinaigrette
Directions: Add approximately 1/3 cup of pesto to each medium pizza or 1/2 cup to each large pizza. Add a layer of mozzarella, season with a little sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Grill or bake at a minimum of 500 degrees, preferably on a preheated pizza stone, or on a large, inverted, preheated cast iron skillet. Depending on how hot you can get your oven or grill, the cooking time will be anywhere between 5-10 minutes. You are looking for golden brown crust and bubbling cheese. Remove from the oven and top with the prepared Simple Arugula Salad and serve immediately.