Organic Peruvian Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil over Grilled Local Eggplant Napoleons
When built up in stacks, this impressive dish becomes the center of attention. You can also arrange the ingredients in a circular pattern on a serving dish instead of building stacks. The choice is yours. Enjoy! Serves about 4.
- 1 medium Black Beauty eggplant, sliced to 1/2-inch thick slices (about 8 slices)
- 1 1/2 TBL Sigona’s Fresh Press Peruvian Picual extra virgin olive oil
- About 1/4 cup fresh basil pesto (recipe follows)
- 1 large tomato (look for one about the same width as the eggplant; an heirloom is nice), sliced to 1/2-inch thick slices (about 4 slices)
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, such as Galbani, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices (about 4 slices)
- Sigona’s traditional balsamic, about 2 TBL, for drizzling
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- About 4 small basil leaves, for garnish
- Additional Sigona’s Fresh Press extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Directions: Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
Drizzle the sliced eggplant with 1 1/2 TBL of Sigona’s organic Peruvian Picual olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Place the eggplant onto the preheated grill and grill until its tender and grill marks appear, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Allow the eggplant slices to cool a bit, and then spread about 1 tsp. of pesto on one side of each slice.
To prepare one Napoleon stack, lay one slice of pesto-topped eggplant on a serving dish, pesto side up. Add a slice of mozzarella and then a slice of tomato. Sprinkle with a pinch each of salt and pepper, and then drizzle with about 1/2 tsp. balsamic. Top with another layer of eggplant, pesto side up. Top with a small basil leaf for garnish. Create three or more Napoleon stacks with the remaining ingredients. Secure each stack with a toothpick if necessary or desired.
Optional arrangement: arrange the slices in a circular pattern on a large dish instead of making stacks.
When the stacks are complete, drizzle the dish with more Sigona’s organic Peruvian Picual olive oil and Sigona’s traditional balsamic.
Fresh Basil Pesto
- About 1 cup (semi-packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 TBL of pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp or so each salt & pepper
- About 1/3 cup Sigona’s Fresh Press Leccino or Picual extra virgin olive oil
Directions: Place all ingredients, except the olive oil, in a food processor or blender. Turn on the processor to bring ingredients together for about 30 seconds, then drizzle in the olive oil, processing about 1 minute or until you get a good consistency (if you like your pesto sauce thicker, add a bit more cheese…if you want it thinner, add a bit more oil). Use immediately or cover well and store in the fridge up to a week. It also freezes well.