Raw Walnut Butter with Natural Dried Apples & Cinnamon
Raw, heart-healthy, vegan-friendly, gluten- and soy-free — you’ll love this simple walnut & apple butter. We love using a combination of our dried Fuji and Granny Smith apples for a sweet-tart depth of flavor. We were inspired by A Clean Bake for this recipe, where the author notes that the cinnamon can be replaced with pumpkin pie seasoning (it is fall, after all!). Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- 2 cups raw walnuts halves (find them in the dried fruit & nut section, packaged or in bulk)
- 1/2 cup packed Sigona’s Natural Granny Smith dried apples (find them in the dried fruit & nut section)
- 1/2 cup packed Sigona’s Natural Fuji dried apples (find them in the dried fruit & nut section)
- At least 1/2 cup mild oil, such as Sigona’s Fresh Press Extra Virgin Arbequina Olive Oil or Sigona’s Roasted French Walnut Oil (tip: don’t use coconut oil as it solidifies easily)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions: Add the walnuts and apples to a food processor fitted with a blade. Pulse to bring them together then process until it reaches a ball in a dough-like consistency.
With the blade running, drizzle in about 1/4 cup oil. Add more, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is mostly smooth. Note that the consistency will likely remain somewhat chunky, similar to fresh-ground almond butter. You may find you need more than 1/2 cup oil to reach a desired consistency.
Add in the cinnamon and salt, process to incorporate. Add more cinnamon as desired.
Mixture may be stored in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.