Sautéed Brussels Sprout Leaves with Persimmons, Heirloom Apricots and Walnuts
This quick sauté comes together in just minutes. It’s a delicious vegan and vegetarian friendly dish that would be lovely for Thanksgiving. It’s packed with delicious flavor and nutrients. Adapted from a recipe by Stephanie Stiavetti Fearless Fresh. Stephanie grew up in Redwood City and remembers shopping at Sigona’s. Serves about 4.
- 2 oz. dried heirloom Blenheim apricots, about 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 oz. dried heirloom hachiya persimmons, about 4 slices
- Boiling water
- 8 oz. Brussels sprouts leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp Sigona’s Fresh Press Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Directions: Place the apricots and persimmons in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to reconstitute. Drain and dice. Set aside.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast for about 3 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out pan with a kitchen or paper towel.
Add the olive oil to the same pan over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprout leaves, salt, pepper, apricots and persimmons. Sauté, stirring almost constantly, for about 5 minutes then add the walnuts and cook for another minute or until heated through. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.