Fresh Cherry & Balsamic Sauce (For Duck or Chicken)
Duck and cherries are a classic combination, one you’re likely to find gracing the menu at most Michelin-star-rated restaurants during cherry season. Now you can make it in the comfort of your very own home! Recipe courtesy of Luisa Ormonde of Luisa’s Catering in San Carlos. Luisa, a longtime customer of Sigona’s, suggests serving this over a whole roasted duck or whole roast chicken.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 small cipollini onions blanched, peeled (they’ll be in season soon)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup Sigona’s traditional balsamic condimento tradizionale SEE NOTE
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Fresh juice of one small lemon
- 2 cups fresh Bing cherries pitted and halved (you can also use any red cherry)
- Sugar to taste
- Kosher/sea salt to taste
In medium sauté pan, melt butter. Add onions, sprinkle with a little salt and sugar, and sauté until lightly caramelized. Add fresh thyme and cherries and sauté a few more minutes. Deglaze the pan with balsamic, stock and lemon juice, scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate any brown bits. Season with salt and pepper.
Reduce until thickened. Keep sauce warm until ready to serve.