Recipe: Balsamic & Strawberry Pizza with Chicken, Sweet Onion and Applewood Smoked Bacon
Balsamic & Strawberry Pizza with Chicken, Sweet Onion and Applewood Smoked Bacon. Recipe & photos courtesy of Pennies on a Platter.
Sweet and savory with a balsamic tang, this pizza is perfect for your next book club or even brunch! Try it with our new, locally made Strawberry Fields Forever jam made by Right Brain Kitchens (free with your coupon Oct. 12-18, 2011). Recipe and pictures courtesy of Pennies on a Platter. Yield: 4 servings (Serving Size: 2 slices).
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam (e.g. Strawberry Fields Forever jam by Right Brain Kitchens)
- 1/4 cup Sigona’s traditional balsamic (or try Sigona’s Strawberry Balsamic!)
- 1 tsp Sriracha chili sauce (or other chili sauce)
- 1 ball prepared pizza dough
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 grilled chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces, cooked and drained
- 1 cup blend of shredded Italian cheeses (i.e. Mozzarella, Parmesan, Fontina, Provolone, Romano or Asiago)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced small (more berries if desired)
Try it with our new, locally made jam: Strawberry Fields Forever by Right Brain Kitchens.
Directions: Place the pizza stone in the lower middle of the oven and preheat to 500F or follow baking instructions on the dough package.
Bring the balsamic to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to half and mixture thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the strawberry preserves and chili sauce. Mix well; set aside to cool.
Roll out the pizza dough to a 12 or 14-inch circle. Transfer to a piece of parchment paper lightly dusted with cornmeal. (For me, it’s easier to pat the dough into a circle while already on the parchment paper.)
In a small bowl, combine the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the balsamic-strawberry mixture and stir to coat all chicken. Spread the rest of the sauce over top of the pizza dough, leaving about a 1-inch border around the edge.
Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese evenly over the sauce. Scatter the chicken, bacon and sweet onion over the cheese to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Transfer the pizza with the parchment paper onto the hot pizza stone (if using) and bake for 8 to 10 minutes (or follow dough package directions), or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly for 1 to 2 minutes. Top with the fresh strawberries and cilantro. Serve hot.
Double the strawberry flavor by using Sigona's Strawberry Balsamic, too! Photo courtesy of Pennies on a Platter.