Grilled Wild King Salmon with Cherry Tomato & Basil Relish (A customer favorite!)
Oh summer. There are many ways to enjoy fresh-caught salmon, but this is one of our favorites. Serve it with sweet corn-on-the-cob and an arugula salad. Heavenly. Makes 4 servings. Recipe adapted from The Arizona Republic.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (look for the Mixed Medley cherry tomatoes at Sigona’s – a combo of bright colors!)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 TBL Sigona’s 12 year aged traditional balsamic
- 1/4 cup Sigona’s Fresh Press extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Four 6-ounce Wild King Salmon fillets or steaks (we have get fresh-caught California Wild King Salmon coming in just one day after as they’re caught…keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter to know when it’s in stock!)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sigona’s Fresh Press extra virgin olive oil (for brushing the fish AND the grill)
For the relish: In a bowl, mash the garlic and salt to a paste with a pestle or the back of a spoon. Stir in the balsamic. Whisk in the oil, then add the tomatoes (slice tomatoes in half if they’re small or in quarters if they’re large) and basil, gently tossing everything together. Set aside.
For the fish: Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Season the fish with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Oil the grill rack well and lightly brush the fish with oil. Grill the fish, turning halfway through the cooking process, for a total of 8 to 10 minutes per inch of thickness, or until slightly charred on the edges and still slightly translucent in the center.
Serve with the relish.